Sunday 28 October 2018

The reason i consider myself a Third-Culture Kid (Part 1)

For those of you who are probably asking what does a "Third Culture Kid" mean? a Third Culture Kid is a person that their own “personal culture” is considered a fusion of 2 or more cultures.

Before I talk about why I consider myself a third culture kid, I want to give the story/background of some of my family members. First, let’s start with the grandparents as they, of course, have a big influence on their kids (my parents).

So for my Mother’s parents, each of them were born in a different city in Egypt, my Grandmother was from Ismailia (الإسماعيلية), and my Grandfather was born in El-Mansoura (المنصورة), both places have different traditions and different culture. My Mother was born in Cairo, so she got to experience something similar to being a Third Culture Kid, but still, both Grandparents traditions and cultures weren’t totally different, it is still domestic, but with very subtle differences.

On the other hand, my Father’s parents were both from different countries. My Grandmother was from Hamburg, Germany, and my Grandfather was from Cairo, Egypt. My father had already experienced being raised by two completely different cultures even before travelling anywhere, later in his life he got to live in Germany, Egypt, Lebanon, Algeria, Dubai, Ireland (both Ireland and Northern Ireland), and Scotland.

Now imagine being in my position where both parents are considered Third Culture Kids. It’s a Culture blend. You walk into the living room with one of your parents watching German TV and walk into the other room with Egyptian radio or TV on.

The next Blog will be on how I actually consider myself a Third Culture Kid. How I’ve managed to live in more than three countries.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Everyone , Its a very good and informative Blog , before reading this i never think like that and actuality Mostafa is right about culture blend , there must be a solution or way for this. good Luck Mostafa for your next Blog. keep your momentum high

    ReplyDelete