Wednesday 31 October 2018

The reason i consider myself a Third-Culture Kid (Part 2)

The reason I consider myself a Third-Culture kid is that not only was I born in a house with a variety of cultures, but because I’ve lived in different countries, with completely different cultures.

I was born in Cairo, Egypt, I got to live there for 7 years, until my dad got a job in Bahrain, so we had to move there to stay with him.
We only stayed in Bahrain for 2-3 years, the culture over there was very vague for me not only because I was young, but because I went to an international school, with so many nationalities, I didn’t even interact with locals to be able to learn from their culture. Majority of people I’ve interacted with were either British teachers or friends with different nationalities.

After living in Bahrain for over 2 years, we decided to go back to Egypt, where there I went to 5 different schools, which emphasises the idea of constant change/travel I experienced. Of course, I was exposed to many new people/friends, each had different traditions and mindsets.

These past experiences and constant change helped me later when I travelled to Scotland, again surprise surprise, we moved there because my dad got a job.
In Scotland, I got to experience a whole new culture. The culture here was almost the opposite to the one in Egypt, but there were still some similarities. The thing about being Third-Culture kids is that we tend to be a Culture Chameleon, thus, I managed to adapt to the new culture.

The only difficulty was the Scottish accent, this took a while, I’ve been taught English since I was a child. But when I came to Glasgow, it took me a good 2 months to even understand what the teacher was saying in class, I spent those 2 months nodding to anything that was being said or asked.


Nevertheless, the journey doesn’t end here in Scotland, I’ve been planning my whole life to go to Germany, so this year I’ve planned to go live there, then come back to Scotland for my final year of university.

1 comment: