Saturday 10 November 2018

The Good Side Of Being A Third-Culture Kid


Now after mentioning the bad side of being a Third-Culture Kid in my previous blog and getting it out of the way. I can now mention the good stuff about being a Third-Culture kid/Global citizen.

When you tend to travel to other countries, it can have a positive effect on you, as you will experience new languages, depending on where you are going of course, but even traveling to a country with the same language as your home country can still be totally different, still different culture, and different way of speaking(accent) and communication. Moreover, you start having a global perspective after you travel to other countries, your mindset changes on things that you have been taught.

For me as I lived in Egypt for a while then moved to Bahrain, you can say that both have same languages, but, they’re totally different language because of the accent and the culture, both combined can make you feel that you are in a country with a different language than yours.

Then when I moved to Scotland, as mentioned in the 2nd blog, that I have been taught English since kindergarten. When I travelled to Scotland the English was totally different, because first, when you learn a language in school they only teach you the language that will help you in the formal life situations, for example getting a job. But they do not teach you how to communicate using this language in an informal way. So, when I travelled to Scotland, the way people spoke was for me a new English language, even putting the accent on the side, that’s another story.


Having a global perspective can be very important, I start to have views and opinions on specific things, the only problem is when I get to travel back to the countries that I used to live in, these view or opinion are considered wrong. But that’s the whole point of travelling, you start to grow and have a wider perspective from people that only experienced one culture in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment